Friday, May 05, 2006

Wei Kang, the guinea pig

I attended a pharmacology practical session today. The practical was about the effects of different drugs on human's eyes. Just like usual practicals that we did in the college, we would need a sample for this experiment. However, the subject that we tested were not chemical reagents but human eyes! (P.S: of course we din gouge the eyes out lar...we just put a drop of the solution on the eye) And the volunteers were not other ppl but the medical students who were in the practical session.

Perhaps you will think that it is quite dangerous to be the guinea pig as it might give an undesirable effect to the eye and additionally, eyes are very important organs of us. Personally, I feel the same also. However, I decided to give it a try. One of my friends asked me why i wanna be the subject and i din really give the friend an ans jz now. Well, the reason is quite simple lar actually. Coz I think I should take this opportunity to experience a patient might feel when they are tested with a drug with unknown effects. Furthermore, I can know exactly how a patient feels when his or her eyes are treated with the drug. I do know that there is a risk that my eye will be affected but then I think i will need to sacrifice a bit in order to experience sth lar... Hahah...quite silly rite?

So my right eye was then treated with a local anaesthetic. Well, the feeling was like...erm..when the shampoo enters the eyes...haha..not a pleasant feeling but then it was not as scary as i expected. Dun worry...my eye is ok until now...haha..but this experiment did give me an undesirable result lor...I will show u a pic b4 i reveal wat the effect actually was.....



Haha....it might look a bit serious but actually the eye pad was just to protect my eye against foreign particles as my sympathetic reflex was partially inhibited by the anaesthetic(basically it means tat my eye was temporarily unable to react to dust and this might injure my cornea if the dust is not washed away).

Well...I did feel a bit uneasy with the eye pad. haha...Imagine walking on the road with the eye pad on ur eye. 1st, ppl will look at u as if u r an alien. 2nd, ur vision became 50% left onli.

Anyway, it was an unusual experience lar.. Hope that u all wun blame me for taking this test lar...haha...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhaha, hey, we did tat for the very 1st lab last term as well, very funny lar, the eye one big one small..

ShuLy said...

haha. no one is blaming you ler. btw, how do u add links to ur blog...like i wanna add a link to ur site into my blog..how?